Sunday, May 13, 2012

Anyone else looking forward to the presentations?

So, I know this is a little way away, but just been thinking about the presentations (for this course and Honours).

There's an interesting talk on symmetry (reminds me of the crystal structures!). Topic is interesting (and a little relevant to our course), but his style, I find curious.
He has a very tangible and personal opening.
His slides are pretty much just pictures. They're used quite effectively. We see the symmetries and they are draw/rotated so we don't have to try to hard to visualise it.
A Cayley table for the rotation operator is shown, but it's presented in a very subtle and gentle manner. He has shown quite technical methods, but has really made it uderstandable and usable.
(Sidenote: I like how he had a little competition/quiz in there, although I suppose not too appropriate to our course presentations)

I note that this talk is perhaps too general and not detailed enough for our course presentations. I, personally, would be interested in how each article relates to what we have learnt.

As a distraction, there's a great proposal for presentation methods here.

4 comments:

  1. I love your last link :)

    Everyone should watch it!!

    PS Ill dance in your presentation if you want ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a related note, I have been thinking about levels of understanding, and presentation styles. I have been thinking about the concept that

    "One who understands a topic best, should be able to explain it in the simplest possible way. "

    I think that this is true, up to a point. I think that sometimes there are subtle points, which might require additional complexity, yet show deeper insight. How do you guys feel about this statement?

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Dirac: "In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it′s the exact opposite."


    I'd like to note that we're really more trying to be direct in our presentations.

    We could simplify our topic to a level understandable to a general audience, but I suspect that's not of the greatest interest to us.

    We're doing this reading for the course and presenting the reading to each other.
    I'm sure we would agree that we're all interested in how the reading is related to the course -> this tells us why we're here for 13 weeks studying condensed matter.

    This appreciation for the course material could come from just reading the articles ourselves, or even just news articles of them.
    However, by hearing it from a fellow student, we also hear a new (apart from ourselves) view about the relation to the course material.
    From this, I assume, we would also be able to see each other's appreciation of the course and our different interpretation.

    I suspect this could be done with a casual informal discussion amongst ourselves, but I suppose having a reasonably formal reading and presentation, we're more likely to put more time and thought in it.

    ReplyDelete